Last week - the first week in January I was learning about robins, their calls and what they eat as we had two - which I believe are a mating pair as they are not defending their territory - in our garden and on the bird feeder. The feeder is seeing some good action following a wee bit of snowfall and the low temperatures. Also cool news : the RSPB are running a birdwatch between the 29 and 31 January for which everyone can take part and the instructions are in this link. RSPC BIRD WATCH HERE.
I cross stitched this robin, the pattern for which had two robins on it but I was not ever going to finish two in a week so I scaled it down. The pattern came with a cross stitching magazine a few years ago and it is by Wrendale designs - I love all of this artists work and they are everywhere on homewares in gift shops where I live. Some have be turned into cross stitch patterns and I have a stash of freebie ones that came in a 2016 calendar with the World of Cross Stitching magazine. Part of my 'do when I'm retired' stash of magazine ideas - some date but these just don't. There is a British company that sell kits and patterns called Bothy Threads.
At the start of the week I made a robin wreath with some felting supplies I had from a felting advent calendar which was great fun to open every day on the lead up to Christmas from the Makerrs. I had ordered it way back in October and totally forgotten about it. Si likes felting too so it was something we could both share. We opened it every morning with a cup of tea before he went to work (yep at 6.30am!)
The wreath is a series of interlocking wreaths the was in a box of wreath advertised by a friend on Facebook as a free to a good home - so it was the best price ever - FREE!!
I used some little pine cones I foraged along the roadside before Christmas (or rather from in a hedge - a car did stop and the occupants were interested in whether there were still blackberries to be picked but I informed them the blackberries although late this year had gone and it was pinecones I was after - although even these I was leaving a little late, hence having to push myself into the hedges to get them - Wallace my trusted walking companion was amused). I cut some felt holly with a die and sewed it with some floss adding bead berries.
Sadly I have finished my Stampin Up business and my online shop will close at the end of this month. I am selling off some of my stamp sets and dies and I will list these during January on my Facebook pages. Some people can really make it with Stampin' Up but when they do they sort of turn into a posting machine and have to meet newsletter deadlines and catalogue posting and I really prefer to go with my flow and I dont always feel like pushing the latest products and just want to sit at home and craft and use products made in the UK and support local businesses. I recently fell in love with the Hey Chick offering that is coming out next month which is two stamp sets and two sets of dies but after calming down I realised that I would be making maybe a handful of cards with the chickens and the cost was £81.00 - so I decided that I have enough - more than enough in fact. I will be selling some stamps off soon on my Facebook page. Some of my sales of stamps are current so I will be frowned upon if I am continuing being a demonstrator - but as I am not it doesn't matter! I am mainly selling the ones I have used a lot because they have made lots of cards and I don't need to repeat them. I am keeping all of the ones that are letters and ones I have not properly used up yet (projects in my head) and also keeping all the boxes and bags because they really come in handy as well as words.